City of Greater Sudbury

On behalf of the City of Greater Sudbury we welcome the opportunity to work with you on all elements of your film production. In partnership with our local industry professionals, we aim to assist you from the moment you begin scouting locations to wrap and departure. Over the past decade, Sudbury has exponentially grown its crew base with local talent trained by professionals who have a passion for filming in the North. We have developed infrastructure for filming in the North that will cater to your specific production.
The City of Greater Sudbury recognizes the important economic and social benefits of film, television, music and video production in our community.  More so, the community recognizes the short and long-term impact that the growth of this sector will have on Greater Sudbury.  As such, the City of Greater Sudbury will continue to liaise with provincial and federal government agencies in support of film production and incentives in the area.
The rights, safety and privacy of the citizens and businesses are very important to our community and therefore the City of Greater Sudbury requires all film, television, and video production to be reported and coordinated with the City of Greater Sudbury Film Liaison.


The following guidelines apply to all film recording that takes place on public property within the City of Greater Sudbury except for current affairs, newscasts, student school projects and personal recordings.  Additionally, we require that all projects that intend to film on private property, but require road closures, alter traffic patterns or the urban landscape, include special effects or have a direct impact on the neighboring residents, occupants or businesses complete an application.
For the purposes of this document, the “Applicant” is synonymous with “Production Company”, “Economic Development Corporation” is synonymous with “City of Greater Sudbury Community Development Corporation” and “Film Liaison” is synonymous with “City of Greater Sudbury Film Liaison”.

Municipal Support

The Film Liaison within the Economic Development Corporation provides assistance by:
  • Streamlining all necessary permits and approvals by working with other departments
  • Assisting with scouting for appropriate site locations
  • Facilitating arrangements for facilities
  • Accessing the local talent pool and logistics providers
  • Liaising with community partners and utilities

Key Contact

The production company should contact the Film Liaison as early in the location identification process as possible, in order to better serve and facilitate the project, including the permit application process.  Refer to the Application Process section below for lead time requirements.
Municipal Film Liaison Contact Information:
City of Greater Sudbury – Economic Development Department
PO Box 5000 Stn A, 200 Brady Street, Sudbury, ON  P3A 5P3
Phone: 1-800-708-2505
Hours of operation: Monday – Friday 8:30 am – 4:30 pm
Attn: Emily Trottier, Business Development Officer
Phone: 705-674-4455 ext 4429




Permits are required for location filming on rights of way, parkland or other property under the jurisdiction of the City of Greater Sudbury.  Applications for Location Permits to Film by the production company will be accepted by the Film Liaison and channeled through the necessary City departments for review.  The Director of Asset Services and/or designate, has the authority to issue Permits.
All Applications for Location Permits to Film requesting approval for location filming within the City of Greater Sudbury should be submitted in writing to the Film Liaison according to the lead time requirements below.  The following are the applicant’s responsibility and the information must be on file with the Film Liaison prior to filming.  Detailed instructions and templates are listed in the Appendix of this handbook.
Required in all cases:
  • Completed Production Information Sheet (Appendix A)
  • Completed Application for Location Permits to Film (Appendix B, one form per location request)
  • Certificate of insurance (refer to section 4.10 for insurance levels)
  • Script
  • Shooting locations schedule
Required if applicable:
  • Municipal facilities requests and proof of payment (i.e. facility rental, building permits, road closures, etc.)
  • Parking plan map (Appendix C)
  • Special effects filming site map (Appendix D)
  • Notifications to residents/businesses  (Appendix E)
  • Proof of Paid Duty Police Officer contract
  • Proof of permission granted for right-of-way interruption
Simple commercial filming involving handheld equipment only, maximum five people Four business days
Parking suspensions and permissions, including Road Occupancy Permits Four business days, including consultation with neighbours
Filming requiring traffic management (e.g.: intermittent traffic interruption with Paid Duty Officers present) Four business days, including consultation with neighbours
Filming in residential areas with enchanced notification Minimum of ten business days
Request for use of Municipal Facilities Ten business days
Noise By-law Exemptions Up to twenty business days
Complex filming where eight or more licenses, permits or exemptions are required for a given location, i.e.: multiple road and parking permissions, aerial filming, street furniture removal, street lighting control, stunts or use of special effects Up to thirty business days
In order to avoid unnecessary delays, the Film Liaison should be notified as early as possible of all location scouting and filming.  The following guidelines cover the time it takes the Film Liaison to process your request, notify the relevant departments or stakeholders and address issues that may arise.




Refer to Appendix E: Sample Notification Letter to Businesses/Residents.
The applicant is required to notify affected residents, occupants and businesses three (3) business days in advance of filming.  Information such as duration, location of filming, planned special effects, road and/or lane closures, sidewalk usage and street parking restrictions in addition to Production Company contact information must be communicated in writing to all areas affected by filming activity.  A copy of all notification letters must be submitted to the Film Liaison for reference and distribution as required.  The Film Liaison will assist the applicant in obtaining a map of those properties within a 60 metre radius (200 feet), or appropriate, of the site that require notification of filming.  In the event that the City of Greater Sudbury by-laws require public notification through local media, the production company will absorb said costs.
Filming in Residential Zones
Residential Neighborhoods:
Productions must incorporate expanded notification tactics if they are planning to film in residential neighborhoods for seven (7) consecutive days or more. Expanded notification requires notifying residents within the 60 metre radius 10 business days in advance (200 feet). Productions must provide a summary of the communication plan used to implement this expanded notification.
A 'cooling off' period will be instituted in cases where a residential neighborhood has experienced seven (7) consecutive days of filming or four (4)separate occurrences within a calendar year. During the "cooling off" period productions must obtain written approval of a majority of residents, generally comprised of 50% plus one of the residents within a 200 foot radius of the filming event for filming to be approved. Please contact CGS staff with questions concerning filming in residential areas, or contact using for more information.

Quality of Place: Consideration to Citizens, Conduct & Clean Up

Residents and area business operators should not experience undue hardship resulting from the production.  This includes, but is not limited to:
  • Night filming must not proceed between 11:00 pm and 7:00 am without proper notification to residents/businesses.
  • The applicant must comply with the municipal by-laws governing noise.  As such, all generators used on streets or in public areas must be equipped with silencing attachments.
  • Lighting for filming should be oriented away from neighbouring residences.
  • Alcohol is not to be consumed on designated municipal properties (By-law 2003-209).
  • Vehicles are not permitted to unnecessarily idle for more than two (2) minutes (By-law 2013-194).
  • Smoking is not permitted in municipal parks and associated facilities (By-law 2013-54).
  • Plans must be in place to address property, vehicular, pedestrian and special needs access to adjacent properties.  This includes making necessary arrangements and covering the costs if garbage collection must be rescheduled.
  • Removal, alteration and/or cutting vegetation/public infrastructure is prohibited unless approved by the City of Greater Sudbury.
  • Production crews are responsible for cleaning the location at the end of the shoot day in order to return the location to its original condition with minimum noise and disruption. 
  • Materials and debris are not to be washed into area catch basins.  The production company must arrange for the proper disposal of all waste, hazardous waste (including batteries, medications, paint, etc.) and recyclable materials.  Film companies are required by the City of Greater Sudbury (By-law 2006-280) to provide appropriate types of solid waste receptacles.  The receptacles should be appropriately placed to capture the different material streams generated by specific locations.  They should also be colour coded and clearly labeled for easy identification by users.  Private waste disposal and recycling companies are listed in the Yellow Pages under “Rubbish Removal” and “Recycling”. 
  • Standards in place through the Ministry of Natural Resources, Ministry of the Environment and Department of Fisheries.
Exceptions to the above conditions require the approval of the majority of affected residents and the relevant local departments and/or City Council.  In the event of any damage to public or private property, the production company or applicant will be responsible for all fees associated with restoration.

Right-of-Way Closures/Interruptions

Filming requests that impact a municipal right-of-way (sidewalks, roads and lanes) are to be coordinated through the Film Liaison and noted on the Film Permit Application.  The applicant is strongly encouraged to maintain the right-of-way with intermittent traffic interruptions over full closures where safety permits.
Municipal right-of-way closures, temporary traffic light alterations or traffic pattern changes must be approved by the City of Greater Sudbury Infrastructure Services Department pursuant to By-law 2011-243, and in consultation with the Greater Sudbury Police Service, Emergency Medical Service and/or Fire Prevention. 
Traffic and pedestrian control will be carried out by the Paid Duty Officer or equivalent authority and in compliance with the arrangements made in the Film Permit.  Production vehicles are to comply with appropriate traffic regulations unless special permissions are outlined on the Film Permit and only as directed by a Paid Duty Officer.  Intermittent traffic stoppages should be limited to a maximum of three (3) minutes, unless otherwise stated on the Film Permit.  Every opportunity must be allowed to ensure access to vehicle or pedestrian traffic, or people with disabilities. 
It is the applicant’s responsibility to arrange and cover costs for Paid Duty Police Officers.  Fees will vary depending on the location, nature and length of road/lane closure and/or light alteration and will be applied on a cost recovery basis.  
Road closures on all Provincial Highways are subject to Ministry of Transportation Approval.  Traffic matters involving Provincial Highways under Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) jurisdiction should be referred to the OPP for consultation.

Municipally-Owned & Operated Property & Facilities

If the applicant wishes to film at a Greater Sudbury park, picnic area, sport field, arena, community centre or other property they must rent the facilities accordingly.  Requests to film on other municipally owned property should be communicated at the time of Film Permit Application in order to secure the appropriate approvals from the respective departments.  The Film Liaison can facilitate these arrangements.


There may be sensitive areas and/or properties in Greater Sudbury where filming is restricted.  The appropriate municipal officials will consider decisions about the nature and extent of filming in or around these properties.  Each request will be looked at on a case-by-case basis and is subject to the approvals of Greater Sudbury City officials.
Priority of use will be granted to prior bookings and based on purpose of use.  Access to some facilities may be limited by seasonality and operational commitments. 


It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that the production crew operates in a safe and professional manner in the course of their duties.  This applies to filming on public and private property.
The production company must adhere to all applicable laws, regulations, rules and by-laws of the federal, provincial and municipal governments including but not limited to:
  • The Ontario Ministry of Labour Safety Guidelines for the Film & Television Industry in Ontario.
  • The Ontario Ministry of Transportation Traffic Manual, in particular as Book #7 relates to temporary conditions of roadway operations.
  • The Ontario Fire Code, and may be subjected to a fire safety inspection and be asked to produce a fire safety plan to the satisfaction of the Greater Sudbury Fire Prevention Officer.
  • The Ontario Electrical Safety Code, in particular all electrical work and electrical equipment must be inspected and/or approved by the Electrical Safety Authority’s Inspection and interior signs on buildings must not be covered (i.e. fire exit signs) unless agreed upon prior to filming.  Covering of fire exits is permitted only if all people in the area have been advised of location exits in case of emergency.
  • Grounding film equipment to fire hydrants is not permitted.
The applicant shall promptly report to the Film Liaison and to the Ministry of Labour any potentially serious accidents or claims for liability or loss with respect to these policies.

Indemnification/Save Harmless

The applicant shall indemnify and save harmless the City of Greater Sudbury from and against all claims, actions, damages, injuries, costs, expenses or losses whatsoever, which may arise or be brought against the City of Greater Sudbury as a result of or in connection with the use of said location(s) by the applicant, its employees, contractors, agents or representatives.  The City of Greater Sudbury will not be responsible for any liability arising from these activities with respect to advertising, copyright or trademark infringements.


The applicant shall, at its own expense, including the cost of deductibles, provide and maintain insurance coverage from an insurance company registered to do business in the Province of Ontario.   A certificate of insurance shall be provided to the Film Liaison and to the satisfaction of the Risk Management Team prior to issuance of the Film Permit.  In all policies the City of Greater Sudbury must be named as an additional insured and a cross-liability clause must be included. 
  • A  comprehensive  general  liability  policy or commercial general liability policy  in  the  amount  of  not  less  than  $2,000,000 (two million dollars) inclusive limit for any occurrence required.  Where a Road Occupancy Permit is required, this must be in the amount of $5,000,000 (five million dollars).
  • Automobile  third-party  liability  insurance  in  the  amount  of  not  less  than $1,000,000  (one  million  dollars)  inclusive  limit  covering  all  vehicles  used  in connection with the filmmaking activities required.
  • Tenants’ legal liability coverage in the amount of not less than $100,000 (one hundred thousand dollars), which may be increased based on the value of the building occupied during filming.
  • Additional insurance (i.e. Aircraft Liability, Pyrotechnics Liability, Fire, Legal Liability, etc.) may be required depending on other specific activities, in which case the amount will be determined by the Risk Management Team of the City of Greater Sudbury.
  • It is the responsibility of the production company to maintain insurance coverage for contents and equipment, rentals, liability for all activities, business interruption, automotive exposures and other risk and to limits of coverage amounts usual to that of a prudent company in the filming business operating at the same capacity.  
A thirty- (30) day notification prior to the cancellation of policy must be included. 

Expenses and Permit Fees

All out-of-pocket expenses and fees related to the use of municipal properties and services are the responsibility of the production company.  These may relate to parking, roads, facilities, parks, equipment or additional staffing such as janitorial, security and site preparation. 
Fees related to the permitting process are as follows:
  • Film Permit $35
  • Film Permit extension $10
  • Film Permit amendment $10
The company shall be provided with an estimate of costs prior to permitting and/or film activity.  Total fees will be estimated according to plan, time permitting, subject to change upon actual usage.
Payment is required in order to reserve the location and any outstanding balance is due, in full, prior to commencing filming preparations.  Payment is accepted in the form of certified cheque, debit or credit (VISA, Mastercard) in person through any Citizen Services Centre or through credit card by phoning 3-1-1. 
When filming takes place on municipal property, if the City of Greater Sudbury must incur additional costs to restore the location to its original state, such costs will be subtracted from the security deposit and if the deposit is insufficient to cover the costs of restoration or damages the applicant shall be required to provide any balance owing to the City forthwith.  If expenses include staffing, cost adjustments will be dealt with after the fact by deducting the balance from the security deposit.  This process takes approximately thirty (30) days.  If a shoot wraps earlier than scheduled, this will not necessarily result in a reimbursement adjustment.

Security Deposit

The applicant will be required to provide a certified cheque or letter of credit as deemed necessary by the Film Liaison commensurate with the scale and scope of the production.  The deposit shall be returned when all conditions, including location restoration and payments as applicable, have been met.  Should the scale and scope of the production change mid-production, the security deposit may be increased.


The City of Greater Sudbury wishes to enhance its ability to attract commercial, video and film production.  To promote our City we ask for:
  • Mention in the credits in the form of a City of Greater Sudbury logo if municipal support was accessed, or “Filmed on location in the City of Greater Sudbury” otherwise
  • A letter confirming that the City of Greater Sudbury will receive a screen credit on the final film/video
  • Any stills/clips/etc. filmed in Greater Sudbury to be utilized by the City of Greater Sudbury for promotional activities
  • Permission to use the film title, film reference, actors/directors/producers/writers names or similar identification of the production in any promotional information used by the City of Greater Sudbury
The Economic Development section respectfully requests copies of any media releases, casting calls or public advertising related to the project while filming in the City of Greater Sudbury.


The City of Greater Sudbury reserves the right to refuse to allow filming or issuance of a Permit to an applicant that does not comply with and/or satisfy the criteria outlined in these guidelines, or to terminate the Permit.  Decisions will be made on an individual basis.

Apply for Permit

Please follow this link to begin your application

Click here to see your existing applications